Two-thirds of Pasadena’s restaurants are not following COVID19 protocols
The city of Pasadena continues to allow alfresco dining at its restaurants today, marking a direct departure with the LA County Department of Public Health order banning on-site dining for at least the next three weeks . The City of San Gabriel Valley has its own public health department and therefore sets its own rules for such things, although historically the Pasadena DPH has been in close collaboration with the LA County DPH on health decisions. public related to the pandemic. Not this time.
In a call with restaurateurs and other business leaders on Wednesday afternoon last week, city government officials laid out a plan to keep alfresco dining afloat at restaurants in towns and cities. city limits for as long as possible, citing the financial difficulties restaurants had already gone through. erect outdoor spaces first.
Additionally, Pasadena City Manager Steve Mermell said at the meeting, the city itself had spent thousands of people reshaping its own public rights of way, including adding security gates, redesigning parking spaces and more in an attempt to stimulate al fresco dining earlier this year. . Mermell also noted that the city’s own public health department would step up enforcement of things like social distancing requirements and the wearing of masks in restaurants, and asked all owners and workers on the call to heed. strict coronavirus protocols or Take responsibility for the consequences – including a stop at on-site restaurants throughout the city.
Speak Los Angeles Times, Pasadena city inspectors visited 60 different restaurants on Wednesday and Thursday of last week, after the broader on-site eating ban came into effect in LA County. Of those inspected, two-thirds were not fully compliant with long-standing coronavirus protocols. According to Pasadena City spokesperson Lisa Derderian: “The most common violations included the lack of face shields, poorly positioned tables and closed dining rooms.
KNX 1070 radio reporter Emily Valdez reported during the weekend that five different restaurants had been closed for failing to properly follow COVID-19 protocols, although the restaurants themselves were not named. Several of these restaurants had previously committed violations against them, KTLA reports, which means their public operating licenses have been revoked entirely for now – so no takeout or delivery at this time.
From now on, alfresco dining at restaurants will continue in Pasadena, although Derderian previously told the Time that city officials would meet again today to discuss any possible changes to that city’s public health order. Officials said at their meeting last week that they would continue to assess the viability of outdoor dining on a daily basis, Derderian adding that it was “possible” that on-site alfresco dining could cease at any time. .
Meanwhile, public health officials also continue to disrupt gatherings and enforce mask wearing and social distancing in public parks and around the Rose Bowl area, where groups often come together to socialize and to exercise. In the rest of Los Angeles, a new home security ordinance goes into effect today, banning public gatherings, closing playgrounds, and more.