Pasadena restaurants lose alfresco dining to Rose Parade
PASADENA (CBSLA) – For months, restaurants along Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena have battled the adverse monetary effects of the COVID-19 pandemic with al fresco dining.
Many of those restaurants will lose those alfresco dining for nearly three weeks on Tuesday, due to the return of Pasadena’s biggest event – The Rose Parade.
City teams will remove traffic barriers from Wednesday as they begin to prepare for the parade, which is due to take place on New Years Day for the 133rd time.
While these movements may have an effect on the immediate day-to-day life of Pasadena restaurateurs, they understand that it comes with the land.
âIt’s going to hurt the business, but you know what, it’s something they do every year. Last year we didn’t have a Rose Parade, âsaid Juan Anaya, owner of Restaurant Anaya. âWe have to support all the decisions they make, especially the city of Pasadena. They help us a lot with thatâ¦ thanks to this patio, we survived the worst part of the year – last year and this year too.
Nikos Baltas, director of Mi Piace, echoed this statement: âLike I said, this parade is very crucial for the city and they need space. So we’ll do what needs to be done and move on and everyone will be happy I think. “
Business is expected to return to what has become normal for these owners as early as January 6, when city crews replace traffic barriers, giving restaurants a chance to bounce back from the temporary setback – something they’ve gotten used to. over the past two years. year.
Sidewalk meals are expected to resume even earlier on January 2, once the Rose Parade is officially over.
NO MORE NEWS: Man injured in Highland Park shooting on Saturday
The Rose Parade has only been forced to cancel for the fourth time since its inception in 1890 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year’s parade, with the new safety rules, will be very different from previous years.