Millikan Filming Update + Corpse at the Mall + Upgrade
Hey, long beach! Here’s everything you need to know to get a good start on Thursday.
Is the role of the school safety officer in conflict with the filming? In addition, no criminal acts were suspected in the discovery of a corpse. Finally, the The city is modernizing all over!
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Clear all day. High: 85 Low: 62.
Here are the best stories today in Long Beach:
- Update: The woman shot by the security guard at Millikan School is a 18 year old mother of five month old boy. The officer “saw a physical altercation take place between an 18-year-old woman and a 15-year-old girl on the street.” The school security guard is now on “paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigations. “The SSOs do not stop but can detain pending an investigation by the police. Lethal force is permitted in self-defense or in the defense of others to prevent death and serious bodily harm“, explained a spokesperson for LBUSD.KTLA, LB station)
- LBUSD Superintendent of Schools, Jill A. Baker, ed. D., issued a press release stating that the school district community “collectively kept the bullet victim in our minds.” Students affected by what they have seen should seek help from a school counselor. “Our school security officers are hired to protect the physical safety of our staff and students on and around campuses. They are highly qualified and held accountable for the standards set in their profession. These standards will be used to assess the incident that happened yesterday. “(LBUSD)
- A corpse was found near the shopping center at 2e and PCH. The LBPD joined the LBFD in 6400 PCH block. “At the moment there is no sign of foul play,” said the PD. (LB station)
- The City hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for the new environmental education center in DeForest Park To 6255 DeForest Avenue. It will be a satellite office for the Long Beach Conservation Corps, which has its seat at 340 Nieto Avenue. It also operates “an existing education, conservation, operations and recycling center at 3635 Atlantic Ave. as well as an environmental education center at 3251 E. 19th St. in Signal Hill.” (City of LB)
- Board member Stacy Mungo Flanigan is ready to take her lap of honor with the Grand opening of El Dorado Park West multi-purpose sports field. The ceremony is scheduled for Saturday at 10 a.m. Discover “the city’s largest sports field in Long Beach, measuring 210 feet by 315 feet” with the controversial synthetic turf at 2700 Studebaker Road. (City of LB)
today Long Beach Daily is offered to you through Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS # 3013)
Today in Long Beach:
- Tai Chi for beginners at Marine Stadium Park, 5300 East Eliot Street (between Colorado Street and Boathouse Lane). (11:45 a.m.)
- Introducing Latinx Heritage Month: “Chinese Mexicans and Mexicanidad“with Dr. Fredy González (University of Illinois at Chicago). online seminar is sponsored by MOLAA. (2:00 p.m.)
- LB Uptown Farmers Market, east side of Atlantic Avenue at 46th Street, just south of Del Amo. (3 p.m.)
- Community mapping workshop at the Mark Twain Neighborhood Library, 1401 East Anaheim Street. (5.30 p.m.)
- Tian plays Latin guitar at the Sevilla Restaurant & Tapas Bar, 140 avenue des Pins. (7:00 p.m.)
Long Beach Notebook
- Long Beach Airport: “#DYK We have one of the strictest noise ordinances of any airport in the United States? From a 1995 agreement, the ordinance helps us maintain the best possible quality of life for surrounding neighborhoods while offering economic advantages … “(Instagram)
- Long Beach Public Library: “! Novedades! – Enterate de los materiales en español nuevos e interesantes que te ofrece la Biblioteca Pública de Long Beach.! Novedades! – Discover the latest and most interesting Spanish language materials that LBPL has to offer!” (Facebook)
- City of Long Beach: “Participate in the Redistribution Community Mapping Workshops to take part in the important redistribution process! Workshops led by City staff will help residents familiarize themselves with online mapping tools and answer your questions regarding … “(Facebook)
- Long Beach City Clerk: “Are you a newly created US citizen? Don’t forget to confirm your registration on the electoral roll so you can vote for the first time in the United States! Register to vote registertovote.ca.gov #NationalVoterRegistrationDay ”(Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
That’s all for today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update. If you like these newsletters, consider bringing friends and neighbors with you. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Sylvie Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran has worked in sunny Southern California and has been writing freelance full-time since 2005. Her SEO-optimized web copy includes social media marketing projects and business translations from German to english. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Fishdom (doesn’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live Micah 6: 8.
Do you have any advice or suggestion for an upcoming Long Beach Daily? You can contact me at [email protected]